Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Mother and Her Son

Let me start this by being 100% transparent with you. I always, always thought that I'd have a girl first when it came to children. Every time I thought about having kids, the mental picture started with a girl. I'm not sure why it did, but it did. The first few months that I was pregnant, I just knew there was a baby girl forming who would wear frilly tutus, big cheerleader-like hair bows and the world's smallest bikinis. I just knew my future best friend was being knitted together by His hands. I just knew it.

Until the day that we got our genetic testing results back and the form stated in black and white "99.99% male fetus". I read it, and reread those words. I'm no math wizard, but 99.99% seems pretty air-tight to me. What I thought I had known was completely wrong. Half wrong that is.

I may not have a little girl who is going to rock my world in pink and bows, although I do like a man who can rock pink, BUT I still have my future best friend who He DID, indeed, knit together wonderfully. Our Lord is a much smarter soul than I and I think he knew just how much and how deep I'd fall for my little man long before I read that 99.99 figure. And he was 100% correct. I'm head over heels for a short, bald man who constantly burps and toots and insists on making me smell slightly like spit up. Hook, line and sinker. I'm a lost cause, folks.

If you haven't discovered Jaime Primak Sullivan, let me introduce you to my new, daily obsession. Jaime came into my world this fall compliments of middle of the night feedings. Her show, Jersey Belle, was sometimes the only thing on at 2:30am unless I wanted to watch all the amazing things WEN hair products can do for me. Needless to say, Jersey Belle won out every time. After I had completed the JB season, I was lucky enough to stumble across Jaime's Facebook page and discovered her CawfeeTawk video series. Hello, daily inspiration!

My mornings now start with a daily CawfeeTawk video and I'm always a better person for having spent those 5 minutes with Jaime. She's real, she's honest, she's a believer with edge and quite a few times I feel as though she's read the unwritten journal in my head. Some days she makes me laugh, others she makes me cry, but on all the days she makes me smile. She's a wonderfully imperfect mother, just like the rest of us, and I don't know about you, but those moms are my favorite.

Her recent video about her first date with her 5 year old son was one of the sweetest I've seen thus far. Her words are the words that have been tattooed on my heart since August 13th. The love story between a mother and son is one of the sweetest love stories of all time, as she shares. Aside from the love a girl has for her father, what other male-female love is one that will span the test of time and that has no official start date or end date? That love is there the moment you know the other person exists. There's no winning each other over. There's no game play or awkward first date. Sure, there may be hardships and your relationship may ebb and flow at times, but that love? That love is as deep as it is long, and high and wide. It's infinite. It's a love story created by our Maker and those are simply thee best kind.

I hope you enjoy her words as much as I did. Mommas of boys, grab a tissue just in case. And then go hold your little man on your lap and keep doing it until he doesn't fit anymore. I can't wait for my first date with a man who already holds my heart.


No comments: