Monday, February 3, 2014

Called

If you've followed my blog for some time, you're probably a little familiar with my heart for adoption. Although I truly have no clue when it started in my heart, I know without a doubt that our Lord was and is the one to lay it there. I've felt other "callings" before, some that have wavered or waned with time, but this one, it doesn't seem to waiver. It only seems to stay steadfast and at times, feels as though it's calling harder. Louder.

Last week while listening to a women's conference online from my home church, Seacoast in Charleston, SC, one of my favorite speakers shared a precious video with us. It shows the moment her and her husband, both Pastors in Texas, met their two children from Ethiopia. It wrecked me in the most beautiful way. I told the Hubs on Friday night that when I expose myself to adoption videos or stories like this, I don't just watch them with tears in my eyes and think "that's so amazing. Those people are amazing." I watch them more with a "that's it, that's our future. How can we leave a child an orphan when we have a home, food in our bellies, and way more than we deserve in this life?" My heart grows a size or two each time I witness someone coming home like that. And I cannot shake it.

Why me? Why Tim and I? Why adoption? I'm not sure. I'm just thankful that the Hubs supports the idea and has from the get go. I've never had to state my case or reasoning. It's something we discussed and our only questions were more of the "when and from where" nature versus the "why or how" nature.

Maybe the Lord has been quietly at work within both of our hearts, and I pray that He has. Maybe He's already at work preparing the child we'll one day bring home. Only He knows the story and how it will play out. We just need to be willing, with open arms. And until that day comes, I share this video with you. Maybe it'll wreck you in a beautiful way too. The line in the song "the fight for you is all I've ever known" actually makes my breath catch. Or maybe you'll just feel a huge sense of joy for their family. Either is perfect. And in the end, there are two less orphans in this unjust world. And THAT'S what it's all about. Well, that and their beautiful smiles. Couldn't you just take them home in an instant if they weren't already home?


1 comment:

mama spike said...

I want to be Lovey to all of them!