Wednesday, January 8, 2014

You'd Know Me Better If...

Every once in awhile I like to do a little post entitled "you'd know me better if" and today just feels like one of those days. I adopted this exercise from a former roommate (and still current friend) of mine who was a high school teacher. She would have her classes pause and get to know each other every so often, but what I loved about this task was that it got them to think beyond the standard "how many siblings they have, favorite colors, favorite teams, etc..."

I would love to hear a few of your "you'd know me better if's" if you feel so inclined to leave a comment below. Feel like sharing? Well I happen to feel like listening and learning, so it's a date.

And just to make it a two way street, you'd know me better if...

You knew that when eating a burger and fries, I must always dip both my burger and my fries in ketchup. It's a must. A simple memory that always bring a smile to face is when a few of my cadets who worked for me ran to McDonald's during their dinner break. I asked if they'd pick me up a burger, small fries and ketchup, please. When they returned, they only brought me one ketchup, of which I'd needed two, with the explanation that "you only ordered a small fry so we only got you one packet." Immediately, one of the other cadets piped in and said "yeah, but she ALWAYS dips her fries AND burger in the ketchup so you should always get her two packets. Duh." I felt so very known in that moment. It's the little things. Don't you just love when someone really knows you?

You knew that I worry about animals constantly in this cold weather. Even more so than people. It keeps me up at night and keeps me constantly looking out of the windows to see if there's anyone to be saved. I'm determined to build some sort of warming station in our woods for next winter.

You knew that I started blogging over 7 years ago as a way to cope with depression. A doctor that I met with suggested that I find a way to write the things that repeatedly and negatively swirl in my head, and it was some of the best advice and therapy I have ever been given.  Praise the Lord, I haven't struggled with it in a few years, but in the process I fell in love with writing so I'll consider that a win. And when the time comes again to go to battle with it, I'll be prepared.

You knew that I told my little Piggy the following two statements at least 30 times a day every day to ensure that he hears the love in my voice since he cannot understand the words per say "I love this boy." "You're my best friend." You'd REALLY know me better if you knew that as this little man gets older, I've come to terms with the fact that those two statements will be the last two things he'll ever hear from me when that dreaded time comes, aside from "thank you for loving me without fail or question, and for letting me be your momma." Ugh, and now I'm crying. Whose idea was this post today?

And finally, you'd know me better if you knew that my mood lives and dies by whether or not I have to go to Walmart. I love shopping. I loathe Walmart. It's full of chaos, rudeness, weird grocery smells that I don't enjoy, and don't even get me started on the carts. I'm convinced there is not one fully functioning cart at a Walmart. They all have at least three wheels going in three different while sounding like a freight train, and without fail, I get that cart and people stop and turn to see who the heck is coming down aisle 5. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. No amount of "falling prices" can make up for my falling mood. Not worth it.

So, what would I know if I knew you better?



No comments: