Friday, January 31, 2014

Nice to Meet You, I Think

I enjoy meeting new people, especially in the most mundane settings. So when I was waiting at a local café for my coffee, and a friendly looking stranger approached me, I didn't think much of it. "Do I know you?" she said. Although she looked like someone I may have met at some point in my Rockford lifetime, I wasn't convinced that I "knew" her.

After a few failed attempts of "do you know so and so, or maybe so and so?" I gave up. Suddenly her thought process changed to "wait, you look like someone on TV! That's it!" Oh, I like this game, I thought. So as she stared at me, I prepared myself for the usual names that people have tossed out during interactions like this before. The most common comparison I get (which I don't see at all, but I once got it twice in one day) is Reba McIntyre. Um, I'm pretty sure she's in her 60's, right? I don't see it, but I've gotten it half a dozen times now by strangers who typically stare at me funny for a few minutes and then share a "has anyone ever told you that you look like Reba?" Yes, actually, as weird as that sounds. I've also gotten the actress from Bones, Emily Deschanel, as well as the actress, JoAnna Garcia Swisher,  who plays Reba's daughter Cheynne on her show "Reba". All odd to me, but hey, I'll take it.

So I wait and wait with my coffee while she gives me a long, once over, when she blurts out "Oh, I know. It's Mary Poppins!!" Well. That is a first. A very first. I wasn't sure what to say. I mean, is Mary Poppins even a real person to look like? I wanted to say "are you sure it's not Minnie Mouse? Or maybe Pollyanna?" All I could do was smile politely and say "huh, okay."

She then proceeded to explain something along the lines of looking like Mary Poppins, but back when Mary Tyler Moore was younger (did she even play Mary Poppins or was this woman sippin more than coffee at 8am?), and finally that I also look like the daughter in the new movie about Mary Poppins "Saving Mr. Banks." She told me I "just had to go see it" so I could see the daughter that I look like. I just might have to do that after all of this.

Needless to say, the Hubs got a few serenades of "Just a Spoon Full of Sugar" throughout that day. I couldn't help it. I felt like I needed to try and channel my new twin. Now if I only I could have a magical tote bag like hers, I'd be all set. Can you imagine how many vintage couches I could store in that thing?

So, friend, who do people tell you look like? Any as weird as Mary Poppins? And I thought Reba was a long shot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never had a "you look like......", but people have thought Dick was Steve Martin and someone approached him one time "sure" he was the general manager for the Packers! Ask Hubs if he remembers that.......LOL